Congratulations you made it through Valentine’s Day. You survived the gushy Facebook posts, the lovey Instagram photos, the heart emojis, and ate all the cinnamon heart candies. So what’s the deal with this big overhyped marketing day? Frankly, it gives you something to look forward to in what can be a dreary month.
Kind of like that feeling when you open your RSS reader or email and discover a new blog post from your favorite writer, brand, product, or famous person. Your heart does a little flip and you can’t wait to read what your favorite blogger has to say about SEO, cooking, fly fishing, or digital marketing. Name a brand, product, service, or topic and there are multiple blogs to choose from.
Some of these blogs are truly outstanding, featuring a keen sense of style and confidence, clean writing, and just the right tone that keeps you wanting more. So, how does your blog compare? Wait – you do have a blog on your company website – right? You do know that your potential customers, partners, investors, and fans expect you to have a blog.
Your blog is your chance to show-off and tell the world what it is you know, why you’re the best at what you do, and why you are the trusted resource on the Internet.
This is a lot of pressure. But with a little love and savvy writing – you can deliver this and more. Make sure you’re sitting in a comfy chair and get ready to learn – it’s time to start writing blogs that make your followers get excited, clicking, sharing, buying, and promoting your brand. Trust us, your SEO and digital marketing team will thank you. Hint: if at the end of this, you’re not sure how and where to start, contact us – we’ve got a content wizard on our team who can make your blog sing and we’ll take care of the keywords, SEO, and digital marketing.
Why You Need to Blog
Deep-down you know that blogging is a cornerstone to your digital marketing strategy. All it takes is a quick Google search to reveal pages and pages of articles about why blogging is key to business success.
To save you the extra reading time and so we can get to the fun part of writing blogs, here’s the must-know on why you need to blog:
- Drive traffic to your website. Updating your blog regularly helps improve your SEO and slowly but surely impacts your ranking in search engine results. Better yet, people will subscribe to your blog and newsletters – all so they can stay up-to-date with your latest and greatest. Give people a reason to visit your website.
- Gives you content for social media. It’s kind of hard to post regularly on social media if you haven’t got anything new to show off. Your blog posts are ideal content for sharing on your social media channels.
- Establish your expertise. With well-written and informative blog posts (like this one) you can establish your domain expertise and authority. The better your blogs are at answering key questions common to your target demographic, the easier it is for you to be recognized as the trusted resource in your niche. People want answers – use your blog to give them what they want.
There are lots of other highly technical and deep digital marketing reasons for why you need to be blogging – but we don’t want to get you too caught up in the details. Just know that blogging is important and you can contact us to learn more about how your blog can improve SEO, search engine results, lead creation, demographic insights, and more.
How to Write Blogs People Want to Read
Flashback to your grade seven creative writing class when your teacher told you to “write what you know”. Well, guess what – this teacher new what she was talking about. Your blog is your platform to share your expertise, experiences, successes, failures, and company mission.
The writing doesn’t need to be hard. It won’t be easy, but the more you do it, the better you’ll get. And if after giving blogging a real shot and you still haven’t found your groove, contact us and we’ll connect you with the very writer who wrote this stunner of a blog post. Yeah, we’ve got your back – trust us on this.
Okay, here’s how to write the blogs that people want to read, share, like, Tweet, email, and tattoo on the inside of their arm for inspiration:
- Use real language. Skip the jargon and write as if you’re sitting down talking to your customers face-to-face. Put your personality into it and write for the people who you want to attract to your blog and business. No corporate mumbo jumbo – ever.
- Write clean. This can be tricky, but what you need to do is pay attention to your words. Know what you want to say and do so in the cleanest and simplest way possible.
- Create a relationship. Your readers want to like and trust you. So give them what they want. Follow through with your blog title and deliver on what you promised in your heading, meta description, and introduction.
- Skip the me and us. Focus on the you. Make the blog about the reader. Answer the reader questions. Solve the reader problems. Make it relatable. It’s not about me – it’s about you. You need to write blogs that your readers want to read (not blogs that we want to read).
- Just write. Sit down, open up your CMS tool and write. Think of a recent conversation you had with a client and how you can turn the key message from this into a blog post. Think of the problems your customers are facing and write blog posts that solve these. Think of what you’re excited about most in your industry and tell your readers about it.
You can do this. You can write blogs that your target demographic wants to read. You can write engaging content that converts into sales leads and partnerships. It takes patience, know-how, and some keen writing chops – but you can do it.
And like we said, if you don’t have the time, resources, or inclination to write your own blog posts – we’re here for you. This is what we do and we love doing it. We’ll send your blog the love it needs and you’ll reap the rewards.