You launch Netflix and bingo there is a list of curated movies and television shows that you’re immediately interested in. You open Facebook and wham you see news articles that reflect your opinions and beliefs. You visit your favorite cooking website and zing you see ads for the cookbooks you just added to your Amazon wish list.
Wow, the Internet is so smart. It seems to know exactly what you want when you want it. This is truly impressive. You assume this must all be thanks to that artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) you’ve heard about. Well, yes, in part it’s thanks to our friends AI and ML, but this smart Internet is a still dependent on humans.
Humans, like us at Know Agency who do the research, analysis, content creation, and creative work. AI and ML are making a huge difference in what the Internet knows and doesn’t know about your likes, dislikes, habits, wants, and recent spending spree – but the Internet still needs humans to make it all come together.
The fun part is that AI and ML are changing the way us digital marketers, SEO experts, and content creatives do our work. Now, we can give you better focused content – the content you care about and ultimately the content that your customers care about and want.
We admit, this is all a bit confusing, understanding what AI and ML are doing – it’s easy to be a bit creeped out by terms like “artificial intelligence” and “machine learning” – but this is why we’re here. In this post, we take the creep out of AI and ML and show you how these technologies can, with the help of us smart humans at Know Agency, improve how your customers relate and think about you.
What is Artificial Intelligence?
The English Oxford Living Dictionary defines artificial intelligence as:
The theory and development of computer systems able to perform tasks normally requiring human intelligence, such as visual perception, speech recognition, decision-making, and translation between languages.
Artificial intelligence (AI) is a catch-all term that involves four types of AI. Of the four types, the two most common: reactive machines (think Deep Blue the chess playing computer) and limited memory machine (think self-driving cars and traffic lights), are integral to what you do and don’t experience when you’re online.
What is Machine Learning?
The English Oxford Living Dictionary defines machine learning as:
The capacity of a computer to learn from experience, i.e. to modify its processing on the basis of newly acquired information.
Machine learning (ML) is commonly how AI is applied in software, computers, and other device platforms to make decisions, answer questions, and provide information. ML happens in your everyday life:
- Ask your voice assistant to find a nearby hotel.
- Use your GPS to give you the fastest driving route with a predicted arrival time.
- Home or office video surveillance to monitor for crime.
- Login to your Instagram account and see a list of people you may know.
- A list of search engine results is displayed based on your previous search history and actions.
Now, think of how this matters to your website, social media channels, e-commerce store, mobile apps, and return on investment. Yes, ML and it’s powerful friend AI can help you establish a closer more personalized connection with your customers. However, it’s not all just number crunching, camera scanning, and data analysis – you still need smart humans to do the creative heavy-lifting.
How Do AI and ML Impact Digital Marketing and SEO?
Okay, confused yet? No? Excellent. Let’s give our humans at Know Agency a big pat on the back for explaining and demystifying AI and ML for you. And, in very simplified terms, this highlights why humans are still an integral part of your digital marketing and SEO strategy.
Without human brain power, your digital footprint would not be benefit from the hard labor done behind-the-scenes by ML and AI.
- Personalized experiences. The Internet is getting personal. Everyone wants a personalized digital experience. Yes, this means that your customers want to see curated and smart blog content, advertisements that are relevant to their interests, and email newsletters that appeal to their interests.
- Predictive digital marketing. Using AI-enabled algorithms your smart digital marketing team can help give your customers the content that relates to their habits, interests, and expected interests. Now, you can give your customers what it is they want without forcing them to ask for it. Give your customers what they want before they know they want it.
- Customer behavior tracking. It used to be that we didn’t know what people were doing on the Internet – not so much anymore. ML is capable enough to perform deep analysis of your online behavior. For example, ML can analyze how much time your email newsletter readers spend on specific pieces of content, how long they spend on the linked content, and where they go after reading your newsletter. All this information can be used to deliver smarter targeted content that appeals to your customers while still getting your message out.
- Powering voice search. Voice search is no longer the next frontier of digital marketing and SEO – it’s here and it’s here to stay. Whenever you ask Siri to find the nearest veterinarian or to make restaurant reservations, you’re relying on an AI algorithm to recognize your voice and speech patterns and then waiting for your ML-powered voice assistant to do the work.
See, not so creepy. AI and ML are the hard-workers doing the work that is error-prone, labor intensive, and frankly a bit tedious – data analysis, algorithm processing, and decision-making.
With this hard work done, the smart human digital marketers and SEO experts can get down to business, making sure that your digital footprint is working for you.
What Does This Really Mean?
You might be asking yourself why should care about AI, ML, digital marketing, SEO, and content… Well, just like you want your customers to understand why it is you do what you do – we want to do the same for you.
Because you see, we’re not like the other SEO and digital marketing agencies out there. We’re different. We give you exactly what you need without the fluff and buster of those fast-talking agencies.
We tell you what we’re doing, why we’re doing it, and how it’s going to make a difference for you. So yeah, we make our heads hurt and do our best to explain AI and ML because we want you to know what we know.